Who can be a Safety Spotter?

  1. The spotter must have a current competency to “Apply First Aid” (HLTAID011) or equivalent competency; and
  2. The spotter must hold a current competency to “Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation” (HLTAID009) or equivalent competency; and
  3. The spotter must have undertaken an approved Spotter training course (22325VIC) (Course in Workplace Spotting for Service Assets) and hold an appropriate Spotters Registration Certificate/ Card which is valid for a period of three (3) years. See this link for current accredited RTOs offering this course; and
  4. Either:
    A. A trained Dogman / Rigger may act as a spotter for any type of plant (without holding a ticket or demonstrate competence and experience for that item of plant), subject to compliance with items 1, 2 and 3 above.
    B. For all other plant and equipment:
    (i) the spotter must hold a Certificate of Competency or WorkSafe ticket for the item of plant that person will be spotting for; or
    (ii) for items of plant such as an EWP <11 Metres, or a Vehicle Mounted Crane <10 Tonne/Metres and other plant where there is no formal WorkSafe operating competency, some evidence of training, competency assessment and or experience must be demonstrated to the RTO to enable that person to obtain a Spotter Registration Certificate.
    C. A person must hold a Licence to drive a ‘Light Rigid’ (LR) truck or higher (e.g. HC or HR), to be granted the endorsement of “TT” subject to compliance with Items 1, 2 and 3 above.

Important Notes

  1. A Spotter is required for each item of plant or equipment operating in the vicinity of overhead electrical lines on any work site.
  2. Energy Safe Victoria has set the minimum age for a person to be registered as a Spotter with Energy Safe Victoria to be 18 years of age as this aligns with high risk licence requirements.
  3. Safe Systems of Work shall be used. It is expected this would include but not be limited to, Permit to Work assessments, Dial Before You Dig enquiries, Job Safety Analysis/Assessments (JSA), Hazard and Risk Assessments and Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS). These must be documented, completed and communicated prior to the commencement of each project, and the Spotter should hold an appropriate copy for the spotting task that is to be undertaken.
  4. A ‘Permit to Work in the vicinity of Electrical Apparatus’, should be issued by the Electrical Distribution or Traction Company, when work is to be undertaken closer than 3 metres from any overhead electric line. All work should be undertaken with reference to the following WorkSafe Victoria documents.