Clear all

Construction company fined $24,000 for working too close to powerlines

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
ajirubye5857821
Topic starter
(@ajirubye5857821)

This is an old incident from 2015 that I've only just come across on the WorkSafe website.

Working without a permit, without a SWMS and ignoring warnings about the risks.

Fined $24,000 + $6387 in costs.

https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/news/2017-10/construction-company-fined-24000-working-too-close-powerlines

1 Reply
SafetySpotter
(@lulvic)

Thanks for the post @ajirubye5857821

I wasn't aware of this incident but an online search found further reports of the same WorkSafe prosecution & judgement here:

This was a serious breach of not just the OHS Act but common sense, so IMHO a $24,000 fine is about right. It's fortunate actually that it wasn't an incident that caused injury (or worse).

Creditorwatch website states that their status is "Under External Administration And/Or Controller Appointed", so I think there is a lot more to this story. 

Share:
Take note that this page is a public forum. It is NOT a substitute for nor intended as legal and/or professional advice. No liability is accepted for any consequences attributed to content on this site, nor any & all third party links. We do not guarantee that all information is up to date. You should ALWAYS seek further independent advice.